Bead Bracelet & Matching Earrings
Students will create a bead bracelet of their own design after investigating bead bracelet styles and techniques. Afterwards, students can make a matching set of earrings using one motif from their bracelet design.
This unit has four parts: research and design (designing a project, measuring for materials), bead bracelet in student's choice of technique and materials, earrings that match bracelet, and documentation of the finished work (photos, email, reflection, and critique).
Overview Unit Goal
Order of Work
Determine Your Design
- Research bead bracelet designs
- Sketch out the design you are most interested in
- Think through the color scheme you want in your bracelet
- Measure the length of the bracelet you want to create (slightly larger than your wrist)
- You may want to divide this measurement by 9 to get the length of 8 motifs and a hook/clasp finding section.
- Count how many beads you will need of each color for your design.
- Create a bead and/or wire bracelet
- You can follow a pattern or create your own design
- Create a pair of earrings that match the bracelet design
- Use one motif from the bracelet pattern.
- Colors and textures from the bracelet should match the earrings.
- PHOTOGRAPH your project (3 photos: solo bracelet, with earrings, on wrist)
- Fill out the REFLECTION
- Record a FLIP VIDEO
- EMAIL an important adult about your work
Bead Bracelet Patterns
Designing your Bracelet
- Your bracelet should have a repeating motif (pattern that repeats in the design)
- Your bracelet should be functional (has a clasp, is the size for a wrist, etc.)
- You can choose a bracelet pattern or create your own design
Things to Consider
- What color scheme will work with the style bracelet you have chosen?
- How can you use texture, size, and color to create visual variety in your bracelet?
- Some stitch types use wire and some use string. This impacts how the bracelet feels when you wear it. A wire bracelet has more structure and can feel firm to wear. A string bracelet flows with your movement, feels soft and flexible.
3 Photos of your Bead Bracelet
Email an Image of Your Project